Day three of finishing looked just like the day before, so I didn’t bother to post it.
I decided, for the last two coats, that I would brush straight, undiluted polyurethane onto the upper counter top as well as the door. A big tip when using cheap, disposable chip brushes: Pull repeatedly on the bristles! Better they come out in your hand than in your finish.
These two items will probably get a bit more use than the other wood areas, so a little extra protection was applied. These two areas were also flat and less likely to develop runs.
The rest of the desk got a third and fourth coat of the thinner wiping poly.
Finish finally complete!
I decided to go ahead and pull off the masking while the poly was drying.
No particular reason, other than impatience. I wanted to see the finished product.