Rob wanted to take this table home this week, so I put the second coat of polyurethane on Wednesday night. That way it had a day and a half to cure before he came to pick it up Friday.
I prepped for the second coat by sanding down everything with #0 steel wool. It removes the dust nibs and roughs up the surface a bit. This leaves the surface better able to accept the second coat. It also makes it easier to see where you haven’t coated it yet.
Everything got a second coat and I let it set till Rob came up on Friday.
When the finish was dry, I applied a coat of paste wax to the inside side of the cross-bars. I wanted them to be a bit more slick for the drawers to ride on. Also, when the poly isn’t fully cured, it can sometimes be sticky. I wanted to ensure the drawers worked smoothly.
For the final assembly, we started by installing the drawer glide rails. Rob secured them with my pin nailer, using 23 gauge pins. Pinning instead of glueing allows for a bit more expansion and contraction of the wood. The pins will bend a bit if the wood shifts.
the next step was to install the guide pin in the drawers. The pin will be a brass screw with the head removed.
since brass screws are soft, we pre-drill and pre-tap the hole by running a steel screw in first, then running the brass screw in by hand.
Leaving about 3/16″ of the screw shank sticking up, Rob cut the head off the screw with a hack saw. I placed a piece of wood in front of his hand (not shown in the picture) to prevent the blade from hitting his knuckles when the saw broke through.
Rob filed the end of the screw smooth and rounded the top a bit, then inserted the drawers in the carcass.
We lined the pin up with the guide rail, with the drawer fully inserted, and pinned the back of the rail. Then we opened the drawer nearly all the way to locate the front end of the rail, then pinned it as well.
With the drawer guides installed, we added the third set of cross-bars that are intended to hold the top on place.
Rob centered the carcass on the top, then screwed it in place.
The last thing to be installed was the drawer knobs.
Rob located the center of each drawer, then drilled a hole for the screw. We clamped a backer board to the inside of the drawer front, to prevent any tear-out, when the drill broke through the back side.
See Rob smile as he screwed the last knob on. Assembly is complete.
The final thing to do was rub down the entire thing with a crumpled up piece of a brown paper bag. It takes down the dust nibs from the final coat of poly and seems to polish up the surface a bit. If you can’t find brown paper bags anymore, go to Chipotle and get some take-out. Their bags work perfectly.
Rob sent me a picture of the new home of the sofa table. It will eventually find its way behind a sofa, but for now it is just the right size for holding up the new TV in his bedroom.