Midnight Woodworking

Woodworking

Repair and maintenance

My shop has been off-line for the last couple of days. My Delta AP400 dust collector decided that it didn’t want to turn on anymore. It kept trying, but the motor wouldn’t start spinning without a push. I spent an hour or so the other night pulling apart the motor. I couldn’t find any worn out parts or bad bearings. When I opened the box on the side of the motor, everything looked good in there as well. After discussing the problem with a friend, I decided to order a new capacitor. Ereplacementparts.com had the replacement capacitor available for $30. I got the new part yesterday so I pulled out the old one. I was surprised to find that the old one was blown out on the back side, where I couldn’t see it, when it was bolted in place.

Blown capacitor

Blown capacitor

I was also a little nervous about the fact that the recommended replacement capacitor was considerably shorter.

Replacement capacitor

Replacement capacitor

 

New capacitor attached

New capacitor attached

I removed the old one and wired up the new capacitor. It fired up perfectly when I threw the switch.

Installed and ready for testing

Installed and ready for testing

The next problem that this unit had, was the upper filter bag had developed a hole. It was blowing fine dust everywhere. Since the filter bag is fabric, I decided to try an iron-on patch for a pair of jeans. So far, it is working surprisingly well. I also turned the bag 180 degrees around so that side was no longer rubbing against the vertical support that caused the first hole. I figured the first side lasted 10 years, the second side should too…

Patched holes in filter bag

Patched holes in filter bag

While I was ordering parts for the dust collector, I went ahead and ordered some lubricants for general maintenance on the Carvewright carver.

Prepping for service

Prepping for service

I brought my surface down to the shop and stepped through the maintenance videos on the Carvewright website.

Cleaning all the rails with WD-40

Cleaning all the rails with WD-40

First step was to clean everything with WD-40

Cleaning the dust scrapers

Cleaning the dust scrapers

The parts were not as dirty as I feared they would be, but with over 70 hours of cut time on it, I figured a little maintenance was due.

Cleaning the lead screws

Cleaning the lead screws

Once everything was cleaned, I oiled the rails the cutter moves on, then applied the recommended grease to the lead screws and vertical posts.

Applying fresh grease to all the rails

Applying fresh grease to all the rails

I also cleaned the drive cable and lubricated it, but I forgot to take a picture.

Cleaned, lubed, and ready to go

Cleaned, lubed, and ready to go

Well, it only took a few hours, but the dust collector and the carver are both re-assembled and ready to go.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Number of visitors

  • 119,102 hits

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 84 other followers

Browse by catagory

Browse my archive

%d bloggers like this: