I had a few hours to work today, so I finished up assembling the base.
Since this table will have to fit into the 8′ bed of my truck, I am making it in five pieces that will have to be assembled upon delivery. I am using pocket hole joinery to hold the table top on. I set up my Kreg jig and drilled eight holes in each rail, and two in each side.
Next, I sanded down all of the rails.
Time to start glueing. I applied glue to the inside walls of the mortise, and the shoulders of my tenons, then beat everything together with a rubber mallet.
After the ends were set, I applied glue to the pockets on the lower rails, then set the cross-bars in place. I also threw a couple of clamps on the lower rails to squeeze them tightly to the cross-bars.
To help ensure that my joints stay tight, I decided to add one more form of joinery to this table. I bought a Miller Dowel, stepped dowel joinery kit. The kit comes with a stepped drill bit, and matching stepped dowels. The dowels were available in cherry, and I thought they would look good. I drilled Into the ends of my cross-bars and set a dowel in each end. I also put two through each tenon on the bottom rails.
Just wipe on a thin layer of glue and tap in place.
While all the glue was drying, I finished routing the rails and the cross-bars with the round-over bit.
I also added a counter-sunk hole and a screw at each intersection of the top rails.
When all the glue had set up for an hour or so, I came back with my pull saw and cut away the excess ends of the tenons and the dowels, then I sanded all of the ends down flush.
The last thing to do was run my smoothing plane along the top rail to clean it up a bit.
The base frame is now complete. It is too dusty in my shop today to start finishing. It is actually time for a fair bit of clean-up. That router has been pretty busy the last few days and my floor and work benches are covered in shavings.